Catalog Search Results
New York Times Bestseller
A Summer Reading Pick for President Barack Obama, Bill Gates, and Mark Zuckerberg
From a renowned historian comes a groundbreaking narrative of humanity's creation and evolution—a #1 international bestseller—that explores the ways in which biology and history have defined us and enhanced our understanding of what it means to be "human."
One hundred thousand...
11) The origin of species by means of natural selection, or, The preservation of favored races in the struggle for life
13) Design in nature: how the constructal law governs evolution in biology, physics, technology, and social organization
14) The epigenetics revolution: how modern biology is rewriting our understanding of genetics, disease, and inheritance
"Lively and fascinating . . . The reader comes away cheered, better informed, and with a new and deeper appreciation for our amazing canine companions and their enormous capacity...
16) The Ends of the World: Volcanic Apocalypses, Lethal Oceans, and Our Quest to Understand Earth's Past Mass Extinctions
One of Vox's Most Important Books of the Decade
New York Times Editors' Choice 2017
Forbes Top 10 Best Environment, Climate, and Conservation Book of 2017
As new groundbreaking research suggests that climate change played a major role in the most extreme catastrophes in the planet's history, award-winning science journalist Peter Brannen takes us on a wild ride through...
17) Great Adaptations: Star-Nosed Moles, Electric Eels, and Other Tales of Evolution's Mysteries Solved
"The irresistible enthusiasm of Great Adaptations couldn't come at a better time."—David P. Barash, Wall Street Journal
"Be very amazed."—Carl Safina, author of Beyond Words and Becoming Wild
How one scientist unlocked the secrets behind some of nature's most astounding animals
From star-nosed moles that have super-sensing snouts to electric eels that paralyze their prey, animals possess unique
—New York Times Book Review, Editors' Choice
Meave Leakey's thrilling, high-stakes memoir—written with her daughter Samira—encapsulates her distinguished life and career on the front lines of the hunt for our human origins, a quest made all the more notable by her stature as a woman in a highly competitive,...
Religions and mythologies from around the world teach that God or gods created humans. Atheist, humanist, and materialist critics, meanwhile, have attempted to turn theology on its head, claiming that religion is a human invention. In this book, E. Fuller Torrey draws on cutting-edge neuroscience research to propose a startling answer to the ultimate question. Evolving Brains, Emerging Gods locates the origin of gods within the human brain,...
A Naturalist's Voyage Round the World follows Charles Darwin over his almost five-year journey around the world, in which he studied animals,...